Friday, November 9, 2012

November

Well, the weather has certainly turned here in MN.  It is looking like winter more and more.  I wish the gray clouds that cover us most days felt comfy like a blanket, but to me they don't bring comfort, rather a heaviness.  I wish it weren't that way, but it is.  Medicine is good this time of year for those who suffer seasonal depression!

I was just asked recently how our journey to Japan is going so here's the update.

We are still aiming for our paperwork deadline of January.  I've tried to get a start on it now so when the holidays come I will not have to rush to get everything done.  It's an interesting process putting your life down on paper!

Ever since we were re-directed to Japan, I've had a difficult time figuring out what God would want us to do once we get there.  Not that I have to have it all figured out now, but I've been asking God..."So, what does ministry in Japan look like for our family?"  Until this past weekend God was pretty silent.  I had plenty of ideas of what I could do in China, but those ideas don't really mesh with Japan.  So, I've just been praying and waiting for God to give me an answer.

True to His nature, He did answer my prayer and I have to admit it's much more simple than I would have thought.  Lots of people who know me will laugh out loud at this next section, but this was truly my thought process!

So, ever since I was 5 I knew I wanted to be a teacher (and a mom).  Never once did I consider anything else as I was growing up.  Many told me "every girl wants to be a teacher (or nurse, etc.), you'll likely change your mind."  But, I never did.  I just always had this single vision when it came to what I'd do.  Almost every job I have had revolves around children in one aspect or another.

15 years ago Greg and I helped to plant our church.  It was such an exciting time and one I will treasure.  It was tough and required a lot of time, but one of the most rewarding things God has used me for.  Basically, my way of serving the church was to help organize and start our children's ministry.  To this day, I've been involved in children's both in volunteer and paid positions. 

I've dabbled in other ministry areas so I didn't want to have the expectation that God was calling me to work with kids in Japan.  I mean, it makes sense to me, but I get in trouble when I assume... both with God and my husband!  ;-)  So, that brings us up to me praying for God to give me a vision for our ministry in Japan.

Last Sunday, Greg and I were talking in the kitchen before heading out to serve at church... me with the kids and him in the drama for the first time in a while.  We were talking about some type of spiritual issue, but not Japan specifically.  All of a sudden, in the midst of our discussion God tapped me on the shoulder (so to speak) and let me know His intention.  It was kind of like when your child interrupts a conversation and you have to totally switch gears to hear him/her.... (not saying God is a child interrupting me, but well, you know what I mean if you're a mom!)  So, pretty much God let me know He wants me doing the same thing I did 15 years ago for Crosswinds.  Be involved in church planting and organizing children's programs.  So simple!  It was a wonderful peace that settled over me after that moment.  God had answered my many months of prayer and I'm now quite excited for what that means.

The even better part was I sent a note to our dear friends in Japan (who we're hoping to be on a team with) and they just attended a Church planting bootcamp.  My friend said that at her table there was a discussion on how they need more people dedicated to the children!  And, this was also met with encouragement from another team member.  It is such an amazing feeling to know God's hand is all over our whole journey.  That thousands of miles away He is orchestrating events and opening hearts to His will, just as He is doing the same for me.  We serve an amazing God!

Getting back to practical things... we have realtors coming this week to help us prioritize our household projects before we put the house on the market. 

I'm also excited to participate in a webcast on making disciples tonight.  Seems perfect material to be learning before our journey.  A prayer request given to me by our friends is for discipleship to grow in Japan.  For people, such as us, entering Japan, but moreso for Japanese believers to step into discipleship roles. 

Thanks for following our ongoing adventure!   As we enter this season of Thanksgiving and Christmas there are so many things I am thankful for.  Our family is most certainly blessed.  We hope we are a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment