Saturday, June 23, 2012

Quentin

I love how God can be so quiet and then all of a sudden He bursts out and you can't help but notice Him! 

We have many smaller "God moments" in our family life.  Often times these are little whispers of God to Greg and I or the kids.  Neat little gems that we can tuck away and know that God listens and cares for us.  But sometimes we have huge God moments.  This is one of them....

Back a month or so ago we had a funeral at our church.  We did not have the pleasure of knowing Johnny when he was alive, but after his funeral I wish we did.  Greg and I both had the thought independently that we should attend the funeral even though we didn't know Johnny.  Greg actually heard from God that he would be rewarded if he went to the funeral.  (I wondered out loud to someone as I was telling her this story... why is it that Greg gets to hear God speak and not me?  She giggled and said, "Because He knows you don't need it!")  I guess that's true!  ;-)

Anyway, we both decided to go to the funeral and it really was a lovely funeral.  Our pastors do a great job of speaking "real" of the person who has passed away.  When the funeral is over everyone can say... yes, that is the person I knew!  They also allow for open mic. time when family members and friends come up to share stories and memories of the person who has passed away.  This is my favorite time.  Sometimes we laugh together sometimes we cry together, but the stories are wonderful to hear.  I've always been a lover of people's stories.

After the funeral, Greg and I were helping set up tables for the lunch.  Greg ended up talking to a young man named Quentin.  He was talking to him for quite a while before I joined them.  Quentin introduced himself and continued his story he was telling Greg.  He's a believer in a rough place.  I invited him to come back to church with us and asked him if he needed a ride.  Yes, he did.  Where can we pick you up?  Well, that stumped him.  Currently, he was homeless.  So, I looked at Greg... and proceeded to ask Quentin if he would like to come home with us.  He accepted!

We headed home quick to tell the kids and get a few things ready.  I went back with 2 of the boys to pick up Quentin from church and take him to get his things.  The boys took an instant liking to him.  When we got home Jayden and Kylie had made a huge banner reading, "Welcome Quentin"  with added little words... we love you!  welcome to the family!  #1!  Kylie also made him a card with the whole family on it (including the dog!) with Quentin right there in the middle.


Quentin was greeted with hugs and welcomes.  Kylie gave him a hug and said, "I love you already!"  Bryson was his little shadow the first couple days following him everywhere!

Since that first weekend, Quentin has been in and out.  The kids are always asking if I know when he'll be back.  Whenever he visits all the kids come running to greet him!  He's been very gracious to us and is grateful for our help during a tough time in his life.  I really feel like our only purpose right then (and now) is to show him the love of Jesus.  It's been amazing to see how God's love and acceptance has flown through our children.  We know that this was a divine appointment with Quentin.   God's rewards are unsurpassable!

No comments:

Post a Comment