Saturday, June 23, 2012

Telling family/friends

The process of telling our family/friends has been somewhat ongoing. A few people have known from the beginning and we've been telling others along the way as circumstances permit. I would say the overwhelming response has been shock. I don't think 40 somethings with 4 kids are supposed to be planning to start a new life when we "have it all".

We have a wonderful family, many many friends, a nice house (more house than we need!), great jobs, great church.... basically we have everything I have ever dreamed of. But, somewhere in the midst of all of those blessings, God is calling us to MORE. More of Him. We are too comfortable and God knows it. This calling is not for everyone, but we indeed feel it is for us. Some have had trouble understanding this. That's my first clue we are really following God! ;-)

Family and friends have been supportive, even through their shock. We aren't at the place where things are moving quickly so I think it's easier to put it on the back burner for those who love us. I know the concerns that have been raised by some are only because they love and care for us. The great thing about following God is HE is the one who will provide for our every need. He's the one asking us to do this, so HE will provide. We do a lot of things "differently" than mainstream families and many of our friends have commented that NOW they understand why God has led us to do certain things.

The hardest thing for me is when people ask us a lot of questions... when? why? what will you do? how long? We don't know the answers to any of these questions! We are on a "need to know" basis with God and apparently we don't need to know any of those answers yet! ;-) We are just taking one step at a time and doing what God asks us to do. Then, we take another step. God reveals to us in His timing what He expects of us. (This has taken me 3.5 years and lots of angst to learn!)

Part of my reason for this blog is to show God's faithfulness to us. When He gives you a mission He provides you the tools.

At the very beginning of our journey I thought a lot about Abraham....

Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country[b] and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. 2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”[c]
4 So Abram went, as the Lord had told him, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Genesis 12:1-4

Now, I realize the promise here is for Abraham, but the fact that God called him away from his home and he just went impressed me. He didn't question (at least as far as the Bible account shows). He believed God would do what He said He would do.  I also love the fact that God tells Abraham WHY He is sending him.  "in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed".   We are one of those families!  The reason God sent Abraham to Canaan was not for Abraham's sake.  It was for the sake of God's people that He loves.  Abraham was just the instrument God used.  Our journey to Japan is not for our sake... it is for the sake of 98% of the population of Japan who do not know and trust Jesus as their savior.  We have been blessed so that we may bless. 

And did you notice he was 75 years old! How glad I am God chose to send us in our 40's!  Much easier to carry those suitcases!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment