Saturday, June 23, 2012

Telling the Kids

For 3.5 years we didn't say anything to the kids about missionary work over-seas.  It's a weird thing to have something so big in our future, yet to the kids, life went on as normal.  About May 2012 we decided it was time to share with the kids. 

We gathered them together for a "family meeting".  We don't do this very often so everyone knew something was up!  First question was, "Mom, are you pregnant?"  Heh, heh... nope.

Greg shared with the kids the whole story.  The reactions from the kids were pretty much what I expected.  Jayden was excited.  Kylie was quiet.  Rylan (after interrupting the story with a million questions) cried and asked if they would want to kill us in Japan.  (I guess we've read too many missionary stories that don't end well!)  And Bryson rolled around on the floor during the entire annoucement and then proceeded to ask as soon as we were finished if he could play video games! 

The next morning Rylan came rushing down the stairs to find me.  First thing he asked me if there are waterparks in Japan.  He had a dream last night that he was at a water park in Japan.   I told him I'm not sure and let's look.  So we hopped on the computer and searched and we found out, yes!  There are!  I pulled up a photo of one and Rylan exclaimed, "MOM!  That's the waterpark that was in my dream!  I think God is trying to tell me, "Chill out dude, everything is going to be okay!"



How sweet to hear our 8 year old get a message from God.  Calming his fears in one night!  From then on Rylan has been excited about Japan.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful for Rylan to be at peace in this way. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete